• Register
  • Help
[HOME] [MY ACCOUNT] [SITE INFO] [OUR BLOG] [REPAIR FORUM]

Thread: Rockwell (Porter Cable ) Model 330 Speed Block Sander

Unhappy Rockwell (Porter Cable ) Model 330 Speed Block Sander

Terrible vibration. How do I replace bearings Possibly part 15A. I tried to loosen a hex bolt on the bottom (under the pad) but it would not budge. Is there a trick and is this they way into the innards to make repairs?

Professional repair is $50 plus so if I can do it myself it is worth it. Otherwise might as well buy another one for same price.

Help

John:

Hi rjkimber,

I think you shouldn't have too much trouble making this repair. There are several parts that can cause your 330 sander to vibrate the way your described. You are correct in assuming that the bearing, item #15A, is the most likely culprit. You will also want to inspect the four posts, item #85A and the rubber coupling #117. Any of these things can cause vibrations if worn or broken.

The screw you mentioned will likely be the most difficult part of your repair. It is a steel screw that is going into an aluminum counterweight. The two different metals will tend to corrode together. The easiest way to remove it would be with a 1/4" drive cordless impact driver. With a little persistence you should be able to get it with hand tools as well.

Good luck with your repair!

-UtahAV
    -Mark

Default Jayhawk69

Did replacing the bearings work on your Rockwell 330 Type2 palm sander

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAV View Post
    Hi rjkimber,

I think you shouldn't have too much trouble making this repair. There are several parts that can cause your 330 sander to vibrate the way your described. You are correct in assuming that the bearing, item #15A, is the most likely culprit. You will also want to inspect the four posts, item #85A and the rubber coupling #117. Any of these things can cause vibrations if worn or broken.

The screw you mentioned will likely be the most difficult part of your repair. It is a steel screw that is going into an aluminum counterweight. The two different metals will tend to corrode together. The easiest way to remove it would be with a 1/4" drive cordless impact driver. With a little persistence you should be able to get it with hand tools as well.

Good luck with your repair!

-UtahAV
    -Mark
    Hello

I too have an old Rockwell 330 Type 2 Speed-Bloc, about 30 yrs old, with the terminal vibration problem. I removed the bottom sanding pad and the hex bolt holding the vibrating plate. The counterweight is steel on mine. The #15A bearing turns freely, so I assume it is OK, and the armature shaft turns freely as well. I would like to replace the 4 rubber posts, and the coupling. While they look fine, they do seem a little stiff so I assume they have hardened enough to be the culprit causing the vibrations. My question is how do I open things up the rest of the way? How do I access the plate to which the rubber posts are attached? I briefly removed the handle top, but didn't see any screw heads inside. Suggestions would appreciated.