• Register
  • Help
[HOME] [MY ACCOUNT] [SITE INFO] [OUR BLOG] [REPAIR FORUM]

Thread: How do I remove a Dewalt dc925 chuck

Default How do I remove a Dewalt dc925 chuck

It has no screws to hold it on and I guess you need a special tool that cost above 50.00. There has to be another way. Thanks, Richard

Hello! Sorry it took me some time to respond, but I wanted to make sure I got this one right.

The new Dewalt premium cordless drills, like the DC925, use new Röhm chucks instead of the Jacobs chucks Dewalt had been using. Here's a picture of the chuck:

These chucks work differently than any chuck I've seen before. Instead of having a rotating sleeve on the outside of the chuck like most keyless models, this Röhm chuck's outside sleeve only turns a few degrees and locks the jaws in place. You can't spin it around. The jaws of the chuck actually open by spinning the threaded shaft (where the drill spindle attaches) at the back of the chuck. It's hard to explain, but it's quite different from anything else and it's one seriously smooth chuck. As you can see here, the center of the chuck is solid, without a central hole for a chuck screw:

According to Dewalt, they've switched to this new chuck because it allows them to have solid, undrilled spindles which don't break as easily. Anyone who has dropped a Dewalt drill on the chuck knows that the spindle has a tendency to break. It's an improvement in reliability.

The downside? The chucks are installed very tightly from the factory to keep them in place because they don't have a chuck screw. Again, according to Dewalt, the chucks are installed so tightly that the allen wrench method not only won't work, but the impacts can damage the drill's transmission. That's why Dewalt has released the $75 Chuck Removal Fixture, which allows the chuck, transmission, and gear housing to be removed together and tightened into a vise. With the drill's guts secured into this tool, the chuck can be removed safely without damaging anything.

It's an improvement from an engineering perspective, but a serious step back for people who repair their own tools. Actually, it's a huge pain.

I haven't actually seen this special Chuck Removal Fixture but I've ordered one from Dewalt and it should be here soon. When it arrives, I'll post pictures of the tool and details about its use. I'm not sure how accurate Dewalt's claims about needing the Chuck Removal Tool are, but I'll risk damaging a DC925's gearbox and try a chuck removal with the special tool and with the allen wrench method.

Updates will be coming soon.

Default Other DeWALT tools that use the Rohm 330075-75 chuck

Hey Everybody-

While we are waiting for Mike's post about the special tool to remove this chuck, I wanted to write a post about other drills that use the very same 330075-75 chuck. Here is a list from our website:

DC900 TYPE 1
    DC925A
    DC927L
    DC936A
    DC900L
    DC925VA TYPE 1
    DC935 TYPE 1
    DC936VA TYPE 1
    DC901L
    DC926 TYPE 1
    DC935A
    DC910L
    DC926A
    DC935VA TYPE 1
    DC925 TYPE 1
    DC926VA TYPE 1
    DC936 TYPE 1

Also, If anybody notices any that I have missed, please feel free to post here.

I recently did purchase this very expensive chuck tool removal and for the life of me I can not figure out what to do. This removal tool did not come with any instructions. I have removed the gear box and chuck together but there is no were that I can see how this damn thing is to work. I think that I have blown a few bucks on an expensive paper weight.
    If you guys can figure out how it works please let me know. For now I am going to remove the chuck the old fashion way and see how I do.

Yes the chuck is a problem to replace when nessasary. But instead of just replacing the chuck you can order a new chuck and housing assembly that has it all together already. Just have to swap out the whole chuck and gear housing. (doesnt cost much more than the chuck alone) and you can save on the cost of having to purchase the removal tool that you'll never use again.

Default How to remove a DC925 CHUK FROM ROHM:

1.Set the CLUTCH lever(the ratchet) to position ONE.
    2.Set the TRANSMISSION lever(black knob with 3 positions) to position ONE.
    3.Take tha battery off the tool (to avoid injure into your wrists or hands).
    4.HOLD Tight the chuck from the CONNED area onto a STATIONARY VISE (Make sure it is very tight).
    5.Grab TIGHT the motor HOUSING of the drill with your R Hand (If you are Right handed)
    6.Grab TIGHT the handle of your tool with your Left hand and SLOW BUT with the maximum OF YOUR STRENGTH UNSCREW THE TOOL COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
    7.IT WORKS FOR ME.
    hope this help you guys.

I'll admit to being as confused as you are about this, Big John. I've now had two very different chuck removal tools on my desk, and both are supposed to do the same job. Not possible.

The allen wrench method outlined in the Removing a Cordless Drill Chuck thread works for the DC925 chuck - in fact, it was easier to get loose than a lot of chucks I've worked with.

My guess, if I had to hypothesize, is that DeWALT is being extra cautious about chuck removal. They have special tools for all their chucks, even though the old allen wrench and hammer method works fine. The tool on my desk is for older drills, which I've seen worked on many times without any special tool. The other tool is for newer drills, and we were able to easily remove a factory installed chuck without it.

The idea behind the removal tool is that you want to secure it with a vise and attach it to the rear of the gear box. That keeps everything in place while you twist off the chuck with your hand. The one we tried actually didn't fit the chuck we were trying to remove (in spite of it being the tool recommended by DeWALT for that chuck), so we didn't have a chance to see it work in practice.

That said, the traditional removal methods work fine, but the removal tool is good if you want to take every precaution not to damage your drill. Even then, Terry's suggestion to simply buy the gearbox with the chuck is probably the best decision overall.

Mike, yup, the removal tool is a joke. That's why when i have to replace a chuck on that unit we just replace the whole housing/ spindle/ chuck assembly as one (housing is empty, just install your gearbox into it). You don't do any damage to the drill trying to remove the chuck and you get a new housing and clutch ring to boot. Price is about $30.00 more than chuck alone.

Default Re-attach Chuck

I am working with the same DC925 drill here, and am wondering how to re-attach the chuck once it is off. DeWalt recommends a special spanner wrench. Has anyone found a reliable way of getting through this without purchasing any special tools? When I currently tighten one up, it will always come undone when I back off/out.

Default Remove & reattach chuck

I tried to replace a DC988 Jacobs chuck with a DC925 Rohm chuck and had good luck with a method that combines Mike's hex key and vladasev's twisting. I chucked the key in the drill and then locked the key in a vise. That made it easy to twist the body of the tool off the chuck without having to hit the key (seems kind of a rough method). I installed the new chuck the same way and was able to torque it very tightly.

Unfortunately, the 330075-75 chuck needs a shorter spindle than the DC988 has, so the chuck was ruined by tightening it against the too long spindle. It did come off again the same way I installed it.

Smile dc925 chuck removal

I too was puzzeled by the lack of the keeper screw; upon reading some of the comments that the chuck was "glued on" at the factory, I assumed that they must have used Loc-tite thread locker or someting similar. Loc-tite can be released by heating the area to around 300 deg. F. I tested the theory and the chuck came right off. I used a heat gun and aimed it in the open end of the chuck for a minute or two and easily removed the chuck with a pair of channel-locks. I'm sure that too much heat would be a bad thing, so don't over do it!

Default Field expedient chuck removal

I grabbed the removable handle that came with the DeWalt kit and clamped it down HARD on the knurled part of the Rohm chuck. Position it so you can secure the drill somehow and use the handle for leverage to twist the chuck loose i.e. one foot on the drill and one foot to stomp on the handle counter clockwise. Chuck should come loose in one stomp if you're really pissed, two or three if you're not. Install replacement chuck on drill and hurl POS chuck you removed as far across the Lowes/HomeDepot/Menards/Ace parking lot as you can.

Drill seems to have suffered no ill effects from stomping. YMMV. Good luck

Default damend chuck

the dealer doesn`t know how to remove the chuck!!!
    after reading your forum i was able to remove it ,the dealer was recommending a special tool too
    some body tell this goons to know about thier own machines.
    Thanks a lot for you guys and
    THANKS TO ereplacementparts.com
    MUTAZ

Default is it broke

hi, was wondering if anyone knows why this chucks comes unchucked in a hard reverse or unscrewing pull? is that normal or do i need to replace the chuck? if its normal can i replace with jacobs chuck? this is not the first case of this, guy at work had the whole drill replaced because of this and still the same problem, thats why he sold all his dewalt stuff to me. now chuck is getting on my nerves. any help or info is appreciated, thanks

Default Replacing chuck for DeWalt DC925 (Last resort Method)

Hi All, I've been reading you guys thread on removing this new ROHM type chuck,and I'd like to take this opportunity to share one of my experience and method of taking it off ( which actually works) looking at the photo of the cross sectional view of the chuck as seen in an earlier thread. I first measure 3/8" from the back of the chuck and I make a mark,then I take an old/new hacksaw blade and I make a mark on the chuck outside.and thats where I take an angle grinder and I cut the front of the chuck off so that I can access the back end of it,and then I hit the rest off using a small cold chisel in the same direction as if I was unscrewing it. The whole process usually takes me about 15-20 mins to complete,but it worked

hope that helped
    Have a Gr8 Day

Default chuck removal

all I do, and it works most of the time, keep in drill mode. use vice grips around chuck, and either wrench or hit it anti clockwise to remove, use a bit of heat if it's really tight.

I work with the DC925 drill here & wondering how to re-attach the chuck once it is off. Please tell me how it can be done, Thanks.

Thumbs up dc925 chuck removal

hi folks,
    I have talked to a service tech at Dewalt and he uses the "clamp in vise" method. 1. Clamp chuck in vise facing away from you. 2. Put drill in low gear. 3. Have the handle of drill pointing at 9:00 position. (my preferance for leverage) 4. Put your left hand on the handle of the drill and your right hand on the body of the motor. 5 Now turn the handle counterclockwise. You will have to lean into it pretty hard, but it will eventually pop.
    It has worked for me several times. Hope this helps,
    Gene

Default Dewalt dc925 chuck removal

Thanks genek, i had almost given up trying to remove my chuck! Can't believe how simple it was to remove...........just clamp the cone shaped part of chuck in a vice, put in low gear and twist off.......SIMPLES.

My local dewalt repair centre refused to deal with my chuck problem even though my drill was still under warranty, apparently the chuck is a consumable item 'just like tyres are on cars' i was told, and they wanted £50 to supply and fit a new one!

All sorted now, binned the old chuck, and have fitted a new one with a splash of loctite on the thread, and tightened it by clamping in the vice again and twisting on the opposite way to removal.

Thanks again.