• Register
  • Help
[HOME] [MY ACCOUNT] [SITE INFO] [OUR BLOG] [REPAIR FORUM]

Thread: Problems with Porter Cable compressor

Default Problems with Porter Cable compressor

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor model CPF23400P that I am having problems with. It keeps running and wont get above 80 lbs presssure . Replaced pressure switch, any ideas ? Thanks

Bad compression usually results from a worn piston ring and cylinder tube. Because that compressor is oil free it will wear through rings every once in a while.

Here's a link to the CPF23400P compressor (this one is a type 0):

Porter Cable CPF23400P TYPE 0 Pancake Air Compressor Parts : eReplacementparts.com

And all versions of this compressor use the #K-0650 cylinder and ring replacement kit:

eReplacementparts.com : CYLINDER AND RING REPLACEMENT KIT [K-0650] - $22.90

If you get inside your compressor and the piston is messed up, you may need the complete cylinder and ring kit:

eReplacementparts.com : PISTON, CYLINDER AND RING REPLACEMENT KIT [KK-4835] - $35.00

Note: when replacing the piston rings and cylinder, do not use lubricant or oil.

I wondered about that but was hoping for a easier fix
    Thanks

No problem. Let me know how the repair goes.

Default Compressor ring seating question

Mike,

You said not to use oil when assembling the piston and cylinder. I just did that when I installed a new cylinder sleeve in my Bostitch CAP2000P compressor. It wouldn't pump up past 40 psi initially so I just installed a new cylinder sleeve and ring. Now it pumps up to 65psi but no more. I'm guessing that it's because I oiled the ring when I slipped it into cylinder.

Can I clean off the oil and try it again? Should I rough up the cylinder so the ring seats? I scuffed the cylinder up just a very little bit with a scotchbrite pad before I assembled it but it apparently wasn't enough.

Thanks,
    Rick