• Register
  • Help
[HOME] [MY ACCOUNT] [SITE INFO] [OUR BLOG] [REPAIR FORUM]

Thread: Ryobi RY49701 Log Splitter

Default Ryobi RY49701 Log Splitter

I am trying to repair a 4 ton Ryobi log Splitter (Model RY49701). The motor hums then circuit breaker pops with no rotation. I have a hydraulic oil leak coming from the motor to pump housing too. I took the motor fan cover off and spun the fan while pushing the start button and the motor ran briefly. So I installed a new capacitor, but it did not help the situation. Now I am rebuilding the pump assembly. Am I on the right path or should I tango uniform this $300 toy?

WJA

My first thought when I read about your problem is that your start windings in your motor might be shorted. One way to check is to look at the windings, see if they are darker than the run windings (usually run windings are a larger gauge wire than the starts) also if you can smell the insulation on the windings, that is a good sign that they are burnt. Before you get into to much other work, you might take the motor to a local motor repair shop and have them check it out.

Good luck!

Default motor windings

Nope. That's not it at all. I found a puddle of hydraulic oil on the floor yesterday morning and drained it. This morning, I took the hydraulic pump off and found metal shavings logded in the pump (looked like they were from drilled holes). I ran the motor and it fired up perfectly. Went on line and ordered new gaskets, o-rings and new pump parts ($40). I put is all back together and gave it a dry run try and it worked perfectly. I have a leaking o-ring and a bad shaft bushing. It should work fine once I get the new parts and seals.

WJA

I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem with minimal costs. If you need anything in the future let us know.
    Thanks,
    WJA

I recieved my parts from eReplacement quickly and took the pump assembly apart for repair. I also took the rear of the motor off to try and find where the leak was coming from and found a spring gasket that goes around the motor shaft to be the problem. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement seal without buying the whole motor assembly?

WJA

Looking at the the breakdown I don't see where the manufacture supplies any internal motor parts. As you well know.

See if there are any numbers on the seal & maybe a manufacture name and do a search for that, maybe something will come up.

Good luck,
    WJA

Default Where do I get 'em . ?

ordered new gaskets, o-rings and new pump parts

Default cylinder wipe

I have a Ryobi RY49701 I was having fluid blow by the cylinder. I took it apart and the cylinder wipe is VERY worn. I am looking for the wipe and o-rings but I cant find them anywhere. Can you help me?

I have a similiar problem with the motor not running everytime i hit the button. Sometimes it starts and runs fine othertimes it kicks out the resend button. When it wont start I have found that if you spin the fan it will then start and run. I initially thought is was the capacitor but it is my understanding that a capacitor is either good or bad and either works or does nor rather than being sporatic. My next thought would be a dead spot on the motor armature and when it stops at this point it will not restart until you turn the shaft. I got this splitter at a yard sale. It appears that the prior owner had a similiar issue becaus they drilled a hole in the fan cover and welded a bolt on the shaft which allows the shaft to be trurned. How do I fix it right? Can the capacitor be weak or is it the armature. Do not want to buy a capacitor if it does not fix the issue.