• Register
  • Help
[HOME] [MY ACCOUNT] [SITE INFO] [OUR BLOG] [REPAIR FORUM]

Thread: DeWalt 735 Planer - broke da belt!

Default DeWalt 735 Planer - broke da belt!

Hey all,
    I have a DeWalt 735 Planer and used it on and off for the past 2 1/2 years - EXCELLENT planer for the money. Have had no problems at all until...I enlisted the help of a couple friends (with no experience at all - my bad; I know, and have already slapped myself silly like I deserved) to keep feeding - and unloading - a stack of 6" wide cypress boards while I took care of some other important business for a few minutes. One of the boards was longer than the outfeed side of the shop, and neither of them thought to angle the planer towards the corner. The bottom line is the board got stuck; the guy on the outfeed side tried lifting the end over his head (to gain length) and wiggled it some - all to no avail - so the other guy turned the machine off. I ran back in when I heard the planer stop, but by then they had angled the machine and yanked the last 3" of the board out. After a cursory check I turned it back on and tried feeding another piece but no luck: the motor ran but the board wouldn't feed, so I turned it back off. We took the side off and found the belt had worn through and was broken. Now we come to the question I have.

Is it likely that the v-belt is the only thing broken, in other words should I just buy and replace the belt or does someone have some experience with this kind of mishap that tells me I probably broke something else as well; hence the long story. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

More than likely its just the belt. When the wood jams the feed roller the belt pulley will keep spinning in one spot and burn through the belt.
    One other common problem is the chain sprockets on the feed rollers tend to crack in half under load, but it would be a rare thing to have both happen at the same time, even under "unique" situations like the one you encountered. But the sprockets are cheap (about $3.00) and easy to replace so you might consider ordering one of those too as a spare to save any downtime if one does crack.

Lightbulb DW735 planer - thanks

Please accept my belated thanks for your reply. I have since replaced the belt and that took care of things...but the hits just keep on coming!! Now the head won't move - up or down, more than 1/2 a turn of the handle.

This is my own fault, then again I believe most problems are the result of operator error to some degree, but I digress. We were finish planing a bunch of Eastern White Pine that we had previously milled from logs on a Timberking bandmill then dried in our electric dry kiln after over a year of air-drying. It goes without saying we were low on the learning curve concerning proper kiln operations, so the inside of the planer was caked - no joke - with pitch. I scraped it off the housing but the chain that raises and lowers the head is also pretty "gummy" and I think I need to take it our and clean it good, as well as the sprockets in the corners. Coincidentally, the same thing happened to my table saw, for the same reason, and cleaning fixed it. No real question here, but a reminder to keep your tools clean. On the other hand, if anyone has any tips, feel free to offer them up.
    Russ