• Register
  • Help
[HOME] [MY ACCOUNT] [SITE INFO] [OUR BLOG] [REPAIR FORUM]

Thread: Dewalt Table Saw DW744 Type 1 Armature

Default Dewalt Table Saw DW744 Type 1 Armature

Hi,
    The armature definitely went bad on this table saw. The trick question is how do you remove the armature from the field? It looks like I am going to have to buy both. The field seems to have one "lump" on each end which prevent it from being slid out. Wonder how they assembled it in the first place?
    Thanks,
    David

Cool Dewalt table saw W744

Hi David, What do you mean by "lump" at both ends of the motor field -- There is a cap on the blade end of the motor that comes off and at the other end (where the brushes are) the cap comes off and pull the brushes up from the armature and the armature should pull out.. Frank

Hi Frank,
    On the inner diameter of the field coil there is one lump per side. They are on the same half of the field coil. Please see pdf pix.
    Thanks,
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Dewalt table saw W744

Hi David, The pic shows the end with the brushes - so the other end has the cooling fan on the armature - right.... The armature will not come out for the other end because of the field plates either !! The armature does not touch the field plates when it is running-- if it is stuck against the field plates now ... it has been overheated at some time or other. Why do you think the armature is bad !! Frank

Frank,
    The motor makes a racket when it is running. The bearings are tight and rotate smoothly. The commutator sparks like crazy and some of them are warped and burnt.
    David

I have seen this several times. your field has gotten hot and the plastic bubbled out. you will have to force the armature out. then check your field with an ohm meter. each coil should have the same ohms. That will tell you if they got to hot and shorted somewhere in the coil.

Thanks Dale. I'll check it out.

Thumbs up Dewalt model 744 table saw

Hi David, It's me again..... I just found out that there has been a recall on these saws with the year 2007 in the serial no.---- I think from 30-50. You might want to check... Frank

To Dale,

Sorry for the delay. The ohm reading across both the top and bottom field coils are zero. My meter is not very precise. Any idea what the resistance should be?

To Frank,

Sorry for the delay. The text on both the front and back plates are in good condition. Where did they put the serial number?

Thanks,
    David

Hi, I was using dado blades on my table saw and accidently stripped the threads on the bolt and arbor nut that holds the blade(s) on. I ordered a replacement arbor nut, hoping that I will be able to get past the bad threads on the bolt. If this doesn't work, will I have to order the entire Armature and Bearings (part 66)? If I send the saw in to a repair shop, how much should I expect to pay for the repair. Is this a repair that I could do on my own? How difficult is it?
    Last edited by 1139612; 03-25-2013 at 09:21 PM.